Pictures from the Surface of the Earth19 April 2012 - 14 May 2012, The Multimedia Art Museum, Moscow, RU Learn more
GalleriesContact for physical artwork enquiries
Wim Wenders (1945, Düsseldorf, Germany), is best known for his work as a film director and is one of the most important figures of the New German Cinema period, which emerged in the 1970s. As well as creating iconic films, the artist works with the medium of photography and addresses themes of memory, time, loss and movement.
Wenders studied medicine and philosophy before settling in 1966 as a painter and engraver in Montparnasse, Paris. His career as a filmmaker began in 1967, when he enrolled at the newly founded Academy of Film and Television, Munich. In the late 1960s he made several short films, which were influenced by American artists including Andy Warhol; these were characterised by their long and uneventful scenes.
In 1971, along with fifteen other directors and writers, he founded the company Film Verlag der Autoren. In his Road Movie Trilogy, Alice in the Cities (1973), The Wrong Move (1974) and Kings of the Road (1975), his characters confront their lack of roots in post-war Germany.
In 1984 he won the Palme D’Or at Cannes Film Festival for his film Paris, Texas (1984), where a speechless man apparently without memory, searches for a link to his past. Also in the 1980s, Wenders began the nomadic photographic project Pictures from the Surface of the Earth, creating images that explore notions of disappearance and nostalgia. This series stretched over twenty years and took him around the globe.
The artist’s critically acclaimed film, Wings of Desire, was made in 1987, winning him the Best Director award at Cannes. This cinematic fairy tale explores an angel’s devoted love for a woman, for whom he ultimately gives up his immortality.
With a strong love of music, Wenders’ best-known observational piece is Buena Vista Social Club (1999), where Ry Cooder rediscovers Cuban musicians.
Following an exhibition of photographs at the Centre Pompidou in Paris (1986), Wenders’ first book of photography, Written in the West, was published in 1987. It documents what Wenders saw while crisscrossing through the American West in preparation for his film Paris, Texas.
Wenders became a member of the Academy of Arts Berlin in 1984. He was awarded honorary doctorates at the Sorbonne University in Paris (1989), the Theological Faculty of University of Fribourg (1995), the University of Louvain (2005) and the Architectural Faculty of the University of Catania (2010). He is president of the European Film Academy and member of the order Pour le Mérite. Currently he teaches film as a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Hamburg.
Since 1986, Wenders' photographs have been exhibited internationally at venues including the Hamburger Bahnhof Museum, Berlin (2001), the Guggenheim Bilbao (2002), the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney (2003), the Shanghai Museum of Art (2004), and the Scuderie del Quirinale in Rome (2006). A solo exhibition of his photographic body of work Places, Strange and Quiet was held at the Sao Paulo Museum of Art in 2010.
- Beyond Memory The Museum on the Seam, Jerusalem, IS
- Places, Strange and Quiet Harald Falckenberg Exhibition Space, Deichtorhallen, Hamburg, DE
- Places Strange and Quiet Sammlung Falckenberg, Hamburg, DE
- Pictures from the Surface of the Earth The Multimedia Art Museum, Moscow, RU
- Places, Strange And Quiet Haunch of Vension, London, UK
- Places, Strange And Quiet Museu de Arte de São Paulo, São Paulo, BZ
- Journey To Onomichi Exhibition space Céline and Heiner Bastian, Berlin, DE
- Pictures from the Surface of the Earth Immagini dal Pianeta Terra, Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome, IT
- Wim Wenders Museum of Contemporary Art, Belgrade, RS
- Journey To Onomichi Omotesando Hills Gallery, Tokyo, JP
- Pictures From The Surface Of The Earth Aarhus Kunstmuseum, Aarhus, DK; James Cohan Gallery, New York, USA
- Images of Time and Place, Contemporary Views of Landscape Lehman College Art Gallery, New York, USA
- Pictures from the Surface of the Earth Millennium Art Museum, Beijing; Shanghai Museum of Art, Shanghai, CN; Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou, CN
- Pictures from the Surface of the Earth Haunch of Venison, London, UK; Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, AU; Juerg Judin, Zurich, CH
- Pictures from the Surface of the Earth Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao, Spain, ES
- Pictures from the Surface of the Earth Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum for Contemporary Art, Berlin, DE
- Buena Vista Social Club Rose Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, USA
- Landscape and Memory Gallery of Contemporary Photography, Santa Monica, USA
- Wim Wenders: Photos Goethe Institutes Worldwide
- Once: Photographs by Wim Wenders FNAC, Berlin, Germany; Villa Rufolo, Ravello, IT
- Once: Photographs by Wim Wenders Villa delle Rose, Bologna; FNAC, Paris; Parco, Tokyo, JP
- Robert Adams â€“ Wim Wenders: Amerika Haus Sala ParpallÃ³ Palau dels Scala, Valencia, ES
- Once: Photographs by Wim Wenders Palazzo delle Esposizioni, Rome, IT
- Robert Adams - Wim Wenders: Amerika Haus La Biennale di Venezia, Slittamenti, Venice, IT
- Photographs Shibuya Seibu Dept. Store, Tokyo; Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto; Musée de I'Elysée, Lausanne, FR
- Robert Adams - Wim Wenders Amerika Haus, Berlin, DE
- Written in the West Städtische Galerie Schwarzes Kloster, Freiburg (Breisgau), DE
- Photographs University of Television and Film, Munich, DE
- Wim Wenders Fahey/Klein Gallery, Los Angeles, USA
- Robert Frank - Wim Wenders Galerie Marie-Louise Wirth, Zurich, CH
- Written in the West Saint-Yrieix-La-Perche, FR
- Photographs PPS. Galerie F.C. Gundlach, Hamburg, DE
- Written in the West Palazzo della Triennale di Milano, Milan, IT; Goethe-Institut Stockholm, Sweden; Goethe-Institut Copenhagen, DK; Film Society of Miami, USA
- Written in the West Encontros de Fotografia, Coimbra, PT
- Written in the West Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, FR